We have moved to a new site!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We have moved to a new site!

http://www.marchmadnessforums.com

3 posters

Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question

Orange
    Orange
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 256
    Favorite team : Syracuse
    REP :
    Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Left_bar_bleue500 / 100500 / 100Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-08

Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Empty Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question

Post by Orange Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun got into a heated exchange at a postgame news conference Saturday with a freelance journalist and political activist who questioned why the coach of a public university was making $1.6 million in tough economic times.

"Not a dime back," Calhoun joked as Ken Krayeske asked about Calhoun's salary and the state's budget deficit, which is estimated at $944 million for the current fiscal year and up to $8 billion over the next two years.

When Krayeske continued the line of questioning, Calhoun got angry.

"My best advice to you is, shut up," said Calhoun, who offered to talk to Krayeske after the news conference that followed the top-ranked Huskies' 64-50 victory over South Florida.

"If these guys covered this stuff, I wouldn't have to do it," said Krayeske, who had been granted a photo pass to attend the news conference.

Now visibly angry, Calhoun responded.

"Quite frankly, we bring in $12 million to the university, nothing to do with state funds," Calhoun shouted back. "We make $12 million a year for this university. Get some facts and come back and see me. ... Don't throw out salaries and other things.

"Get some facts and come back and see me. We turn over $12 million to the University of Connecticut, which is state-run. Next question."

Calhoun, who has two national championships, is set to make $1.6 million in 2009-10, the final year of his contract. Women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma, who has brought five national championships to Storrs, recently signed a 5-year, $8 million deal that begins July 1.

Connecticut football coach Randy Edsall signed a 5-year deal a year ago that pays him an average of $1.5 million annually.

The three coaches are among the state's highest paid employees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3924716
    codelltaylor
    codelltaylor

Number of posts : 109
    Favorite team : PITT
    REP :
    Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Left_bar_bleue500 / 100500 / 100Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-19

Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Empty Re: Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question

Post by codelltaylor Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:14 am

I have no problems with Calhoun getting paid 1.6 million a year. If that 12 million figure is right why should it matter if he gets paid 1.6 million? He took Uconn from just another school to one of the premier basketball school in the nation. 2 national championships, he has earned it. If he makes too much get somebody else to coach the basketball team and see if you still bring in that 12 million a year. I doubt it because you won't have the same quality of team.
    DeJuan_Grizzley_Blair
    DeJuan_Grizzley_Blair

Number of posts : 6
    Favorite team : Pitt
    REP :
    Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-22

Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question Empty Re: Reporter angers Calhoun with salary question

Post by DeJuan_Grizzley_Blair Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 am

What a surprise... Calhoun overreacting when talking to the media Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm